Why is having good governance so important?
Wed 22 Sep 2021
Voluntary organisations exist to have a positive impact on the communities they serve. Having a confident, diverse & skilled board that provides good governance is crucial for any organisation to fulfil its purpose.
Having good governance provides direction and supervision, whilst ensuring effectiveness and accountability for an organisation.
- Direction. If you know where you’re going it’s much easier to get there. The board should have the capacity to set the strategy and overall direction; providing leadership for everyone in the organisation.
- Supervision. Once the goals are set, you’ll need to ensure the organisation stays on track. To help with this you’ll benefit from establishing controls, managing risk & monitoring performance.
- Effectiveness. A lot of effort goes into increasing resources; whether that is getting funding or recruiting volunteers. Once your organisation has resources the board should ensure they are being used effectively to maximise productivity and impact on the community.
- Accountability. The charity should be transparent about its work with all of its stakeholders. If the board is open and accountable then you can celebrate success and show a willingness to learn from failure. This will increase trust with stakeholders and increase engagement.
Looking for a place to start?
- You can register to attend our Right Start training: Committee and Trustee Roles and Responsibilities on 30th November, free to members. This is a great refresher for established trustees and acts as an introduction to the role for new ones (places are limited to 2 per organisation).
- Does your board need support to set the organisation’s direction? We deliver away days tailored to suit your needs. Interested? Email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Charity Governance Code is a great tool for small charities to work through, you can find it here: www.charitygovernancecode.org.
- Think your board could benefit from some training on a specific topic? Take advantage of our bespoke trustee training offer. To find out more and talk to us about your needs email us email@example.com.