Supermarket ‘Volunteer Shopping Cards’
Tue 14 Apr 2020
As of the 20th April 20, volunteer shopping cards are available from the following supermarkets (select each option below for more details):
To help provide food for local communities and those most in need, Asda has launched a ‘volunteer shopping card’, giving those self-isolating a contact-free way to allow others to collect and pay for their weekly shop.
In response to the fact many people are relying on friends, neighbours and community volunteers to get their groceries for them, Asda has launched a dedicated ‘volunteer shopping card’ online, which allows self-isolating shoppers to buy a voucher online to give to volunteer to use on their behalf in store.
The scheme has been designed to create a ‘contact free’ and safe way for people to provide funds to those shopping on their behalf and creates mechanism for volunteers to buy food on someone’s behalf.
Customers can buy a ‘Volunteer shopping card’ online and then keep topping it up, up to £150 worth of credit, which volunteers can then use to buy essential groceries.
Customers can go to www.asda.com/volunteercard to sign up – where they will then be able to buy a voucher, ready for use. The customer or their volunteer will then receive a barcode via email that can be used to pay for the shopping.
In a continued effort to help prevent the spread of COVID-19, the volunteer shopping card provides an easy solution for those self-isolating to pay for shopping, without the added hassle or risk of using cash or debit cards. It gives customers confidence that they don’t need to share card details, whilst reducing contact with volunteers who are helping to drop much needed essentials straight the doorsteps of those in need, as safely as possible.
If you have to stay at home, the Volunteer Shopping Card is great because it’s easy to:
- Buy online
- Send to your volunteer or print and leave for them in a safe place
- Stay secure—no bank or credit card details are exchanged
- Be safer as you’re not handing over cash
- Can be topped with extra funds online
If you’re volunteering, the Volunteer Shopping Card is ideal because:
- You’re not exchanging cash
- You’re still able to help, whilst minimising risk for you both
- You don’t need to know the person’s bank or credit card details
- You can use the card contactless in-store using a barcode
How it works
The Volunteer Shopping Card can be bought easily online. It can then be emailed to the volunteer or printed out and left in a safe place for the volunteer to pick up. The volunteer then shops using the card, makes the payment using the barcode in store, and leaves the shopping in a safe place.
M&S have introduced a simple way for their most vulnerable, older or self-isolating customers to organise payment for their shopping delivered by volunteers. They have introduced their ‘We’re All in this Together’ E-Gift Card – a simple way for customers to provide payment without exchanging cash or their card.
- Simply select the amount you need on your E-Gift Card based on your shopping list.
- Add the E-Gift Card to your basket and checkout by signing into your account.
- Enter your email address or your volunteer's - you will then receive a barcode, which your volunteer can scan at our self-checkouts in store. Alternatively, they can read the 30 digit E-Gift Card code to our colleagues at the till.
This is an online gift card meaning it's virtual and there's no need to organise delivery. All the details you need will come straight to your inbox or your volunteer's.
You can purchase our We’re All in this Together E-Gift Card on behalf of a family member who’s more vulnerable, older or self-isolating – simply send the code to their volunteer as above.
- Our e-Gift Cards can be used online at M&S.com or in over 700 M&S stores across the UK.
- We can email this direct to the recipient of your choice, just add your personal message during checkout.
- Valid for 24 months from the last transaction (which includes the initial card load, adding or spending funds, or balance enquiries).
- Full terms and conditions can be found here
- Not available for international delivery.
You can buy a ‘Volunteer’s Shopping Card’ E-gift card online and add between £10 and £500 to the gift card. It can be emailed directly to your volunteer (and can include a personal message) or emailed to your own email address to print out.
Ordering John Lewis e-Gift Cards
- We accept the following payment methods: Mastercard credit & debit cards, Visa credit & debit cards, American Express.
- Your order and payment will be processed and despatched by Voucher Express, and your debit/credit card statement will show `Voucher Express`.
- All orders are subject to security checks. If additional card security checks are required this may delay the delivery of your e-gift card. If your order fails security checks you will be refunded.
- If you are sending to someone else, you will be able to include a personal message with your e-Gift card that will be included in the email to your recipient.
- If you are sending the e-Gift card to yourself to print at home, you will receive an email with a PDF attachment. Please open and print the PDF as this is your e-Gift card.
John Lewis e-Gift Card Terms and Conditions
- The John Lewis Partnership e-gift card can be redeemed in John Lewis or Waitrose shops and online at johnlewis.com or waitrose.com as part or full payment for goods (exclusions apply).
- Protect your e-gift card and treat it as cash; lost, stolen or damaged cards will not be replaced, or exchanged for physical gift cards or cash
- This e-gift card will expire 24 months from purchase or last use. Making a purchase or a balance enquiry refreshes the 24-month expiry period.
- E-gift cards ordered online can be activated with a minimum value of £10 and have a maximum value of £500.
- This e-gift card cannot be exchanged for cash. No change or refund will be given, except in accordance with your statutory rights. Any balance remaining on the card may be applied to future purchases, provided the card has not expired.
- The card cannot be used to discharge indebtedness in respect of an account card or credit card issued by John Lewis plc, Waitrose Limited or John Lewis Financial Services Limited, nor can it be used for the purchase either directly or indirectly of any financial product or service.
- For full terms and conditions and balance enquiries visit johnlewis.com/customer-services.
If another person has been grocery shopping on your behalf, or if you’d like to send a grocery gift card to someone else, the Morrisons eGift and Gift Cards are here to help.
Buy Gift Cards HERE
What is the Morrisons eGift and Gift Card?
The eGift and Gift Card can be used to provide funds to another person, whether that’s a friend, family member or other volunteer, who is conducting your grocery shopping on your behalf. You can also use them to give as a gift.
They can be used at any Morrisons store in the UK, and are a great way to make sure funds are available for your shopping needs without the need to leave your home.
How do the Gift Cards work?
You can order a Gift Card online and it’ll be posted to the recipient’s home address, removing the need for you to handle physical money, or pass your payment card details on to the recipient. The recipient can then use the Gift Card at any checkout in any Morrisons store in the UK.
How do eGifts work?
eGifts are an electronic version of the Gift Card. They are sent directly to the recipient’s email address without the need for handing anything over to the recipient, whether that’s physical money or your payment card details.
The eGift can then be printed and used in store, or alternatively it can be presented in store on a phone screen to be scanned at the checkout. They also work on self-service checkouts.
How can I use the eGift and Gift Cards?
You can purchase the vouchers for any value between £10 and £250, and they are valid for 12 months. They are for use in any Morrisons store in the UK and can’t be used online.
You don’t need to spend the total value of the voucher in one transaction, all the funds will remain on the voucher until the balance reaches £0, or it expires 12 months after the last use.
What is a Volunteer Shopping Card?
Our Volunteer Shopping Card helps you to keep up social distancing. It lets you use your money to pay for your shopping, even if someone else is going to the shops for you. You’re also protecting our colleagues, as its cashless payment, helping us to keep helping you.
What value E-Gift Card can I purchase?
Sainsbury's E-Gift Cards are available in any denomination up to the maximum order value of £250. The minimum order value is £5.
Can I send a Sainsbury's E-Gift Card to myself?
Of course. Many customers choose to have E-Gift Cards delivered to themselves so they can print it off and present it as a gift. You could also keep it for yourself!
Can I send a Gift Card in the post?
Currently this is not available.
What is the helpline number for online E-Gift Card purchases?
For help with online purchases of Sainsbury's E-Gift Cards, you can contact our distributors Voucher Express via email at Sainsburys@voucherexpress.net or call their customer services on 0371 200 1597. If calling from overseas, please dial +44 1765 643128. Calls are charged at the local rate, lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 12:30pm.
What will happen after I place my order online?
Once you have placed your order we will send you an email to confirm it has been received. You will receive an email once your E-Gift Card has been delivered to your recipient’s email, this could be immediately or on your specified date and time. You will also receive an email to confirm that your recipient has accessed their E-Gift Card. If they access their E-Gift Card multiple times you will receive an email each time.
What payment methods do you accept for E-Gift Card?
We accept Visa credit cards, Visa debit cards including Delta & Electron, Mastercard, Maestro/Switch and American Express.
What will appear on my debit/credit card statement?
Sainsbury's E-Gift Card orders are processed by Voucher Express. The purchase will appear on your credit/debit card statement as 'Voucher Express'.
I want to order an E-Gift Card over the value of £250?
You can place multiple orders but the maximum E-Gift Card value per order is £250.
Can I send a personal message with the E-Gift Card?
Yes, you will be given the option to write a personal message when purchasing your E-Gift Card online. Your message will be included on the email that is sent to your recipient.
Can I cancel my order and get a refund?
It is not possible to cancel E-Gift Card orders.
RECEIVING AND REDEEMING
Where can a Sainsbury's E-Gift Card be spent?
Sainsbury's E-Gift Cards can be used in full or part payment for goods in any Sainsbury's store in the UK and Northern Ireland.
Can I use Gift cards or Vouchers to buy groceries online at Sainsburys.co.uk?
At present you are unable to use your Gift Card online.
How can an E-Gift Card be redeemed?
The E-Gift Card can be used in-store by presenting the E-Gift Card on a mobile device or as a print out at the tills.
What can I buy with the Gift Cards and Vouchers?
Sainsbury’s Gift Cards, Vouchers and E-Gift Cards can be used to purchase most products in stores. As part of our terms and conditions, the following products and categories cannot be purchased with a Sainsbury’s Gift Card, voucher or E-Gift Card:
- Branded Gift Cards
- Scratch Cards
- LPG AUTOGAS
- Pay Point products and services
- Prescription products
- Infant Formula
- Tobacco and related products
- BT phone cards
- E TOP-UP Savings stamps
- Postage Stamps
- National Lottery products
- Car park tickets
- Online delivery charges
- Concession coffee shops, restaurants or vending machine purchases
- Petrol or products within petrol stations (apart from when using a petrol card).
Can I use my Sainsbury's Gift Cards or Gift Vouchers in Argos?
We cannot currently accept Sainsbury's gift cards and vouchers in Argos stores and cannot accept Argos gift cards and vouchers in Sainsbury's stores.
What does my recipient receive?
On your specified delivery date, your recipient will receive an email containing your chosen banner design, your personal message and a link for them to access their E-Gift Card.
How do I know when my recipient has received their E-Gift Card?
You will receive an email to confirm that your recipient has accessed their E-Gift Card. If they access their E-Gift Card multiple times you will receive an email each time.
Is there an expiry date on an E-Gift Card?
Sainsbury's E-Gift Cards are usually valid for 2 years, this will be printed on the E-Gift Card itself.
How can I check the balance and/or expiry date for the E-Gift Card?
Keep a track of your balance and expiry date by registering your E-Gift Card.
Do you offer a same day service?
You have complete control over the date and time your E-Gift Card is sent. You could choose for it to be sent upon payment of your E-Gift Card, or select a date in the future.
Delivery of Sainsbury's E-Gift Cards
E-Gift Cards are delivered direct to your recipient’s email address, or your own. Perfect for last minute and instant gifts. There are no delivery fees for sending an E-Gift Card.
If you have a question either before or after placing your order please call our distributors Voucher Express on 0371 200 1597 or email them at Sainsburys@voucherexpress.net. If calling from overseas, please dial +44 1765 643128. If you are calling regarding an existing order, please have your order number to hand. Calls are charged at the local rate, lines are open Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm and Saturdays 9am to 12:30pm.
<<< back to top
Across Tamworth, Lichfield, Stafford, Cannock and East Staffordshire, the Co-op supermarkets have specific arrangements with the local voluntary sector organisations in order to support vulnerable people in need of food.
Local arrangements in place with the Co-op supermarkets are being focused on those people referred from the County Council’s COVID-19 Contact Centre as well as others, thereby enabling those vulnerable people who self-isolating, to make food orders and payment both online and via the telephone.
Some supermarkets sell their own gift cards that you can use in their supermarket. Issue: You have to buy them in store.
You can buy gift cards for places like Sainsburys / Morrisons / M&S / Tesco on these types of sites: https://www.thegiftcardcentre.co.uk/groceries.html Issue: They charge for postage.
Payment over the phone at checkout
This option will allow the volunteer to go to a local store, collect the items, and then payment details for the shopping can be taken over the phone by the shop assistant.
Check with your local store to see if this is an option. Most Spar stores have confirmed this payment option. Please note, major supermarkets are not able to support this process.
(Note: This information was found on a Royal Voluntary Service/NHS leaflet).
Call and collect
There may be an option for residents to call a local trusted shop and place an order for shopping, then make the payment over the phone. Then when ready, the volunteer can go and collect the shopping and deliver it to them. Please note major supermarkets are unable to support this process.