Lichfield District February Volunteering News
Thu 11 Feb 2021
This time of year is usually one where the interest in volunteering is at a low point. The rush of New Year’s resolutions to help others dwindles as the long winter nights and cold days limit what can be done in the community.
But, this year it is different; yes, the nights are long and the days are very cold, but, there is an underlying swell of people who want to continue to help others during the ongoing Covid crisis.
The biggest need is quite simple; look after your family, friends and neighbours – are they in need? How can you help?
A good deal of volunteering has gone ‘virtual’; the personal contact we all strive for is not there, but the ability to keep in touch by phone or video is still an option and desperately needed – even more so in the coming months.
In January I held a ‘virtual’ volunteers fair with South Staffordshire College. Over 25 groups took part and the fair was ‘attended’ by 767 people – mainly from the college. It was different, but really did provide an opportunity for charities and potential volunteers to link up with an added bonus of new partnerships with the college. There were teething problems – IT is never perfect!
A couple of quotes highlight the benefits of the Fair:
“Listening to the volunteers fair has motivated me somewhat to research volunteering, so in my free time I may decide try and seek out a volunteering role.” – Learner
“It was an honour to be involved , thankyou for thinking of us and hope we can continue these links at this difficult times and future. What a great idea.” – Charity
So, why not take the plunge with one (or more) of the groups below. They are local and need your support.
- Midlands Air Ambulance – They have an immediate need for fund raisers
- Lichfield Waterworks – A Grade 2 historic structure that is being turned into a community hub. Help is needed for both physical and admin roles.
- MHA Communities – Telephone befriending is still in demand.
- Burntwood be a Friend – The full works in helping others with practical and well-being demands in the local community.
- Spark Children’s Centre – Mentors are needed to help support families.
- Lichfield & Hatherton Canal Restoration Trust – If you fancy an outdoor role, look no further than this charity. The weather will improve!
- South Staffordshire Network for Mental Health – help is needed in a number of roles including admin, fund raising, trustees.
- Caudwell Children – A Staffordshire based charity looking for volunteers to help young people.
- Lichfield Festival – Yes, this is still planned to be ‘live’ in the Summer. A great organisation to volunteer with and the chance to meet others.
- Lichfield Arts – The Fuse Festival – The annual Fuse is still on the cards. If you like music, why not combine this with volunteering.
- Lichfield Talking News – Why not help people with sight issues by becoming a ‘reader’?
If you would like more information on any of the above volunteering opportunities or to apply call 07729 883822 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Rick Hill – Volunteer Officer Lichfield