'Green Team' Trainee Volunteer
Natural Neighbourhoods 'Green Team' at Silverdale Country Park.
Groundwork West Midlands are starting up a new Natural Neighbourhoods ‘Green Team’ project on Silverdale Country Park (Newcastle Under Lyme) that will open up some volunteering opportunities within the environmental and conservation fields. The Green Team will provide a 12 - 26 week traineeship programme; offering opportunities to gain valuable experience in the environment and sustainability sectors through practical conservation and countryside management. The team will work on a full programme of real environmental projects, whilst completing relevant certificated training in sustainability and the natural environment.
Groundwork is a federation of charities mobilising practical community action on poverty and the environment across the UK. We’re passionate about creating a future where:
- Every neighbourhood is vibrant and green
- Every community is strong and able to shape its own destiny
- No-one is held back by their background or circumstances
The Green Team Volunteers and Trainees will be assisting in various community based outdoor related projects at Silverdale Country Park, Newcastle under Lyme. They will work in a small team of other community volunteers to help implement practical conservation and environmental based projects on the park. These may be a combination of new or existing projects. The role will involve working on all aspects of practical, site based improvement works, whilst developing practical and soft skills, and learning about environmental sustainability at the same time.
We are seeking individuals who have an interest in working outdoors in green spaces who want to further develop their practical skills, environmental knowledge and increase their employability.
The main duties and responsibilities include:
- Undertaking site-based conservation and environmental improvement activities in green spaces
- Working as part of the Green Team – working closely with other volunteers to ensure projects are completed safely, on time, and to a high quality
- Working in a co-operative and professional manner with Groundwork staff and other community volunteers.
- Helping to generate new ideas to improve the running of the Green Team.
There will be three cohorts for Environmental Traineeships so you can start your traineeship in each of these months:
- Green Team 1: June - September 2021
- Green Team 2: August - December 2021
- Green Team 3: January - March 2022
Registering as a community volunteer
This is a more informal volunteering option, whereby you can sign up to join volunteering sessions and join the Green Team, but you do not need to commit to the minimum 12 weeks. You can volunteer as often as you like, but this will be more suited to those who are looking to get involved for reasons other than improving employment prospects, perhaps to make a difference, meet new people, improve your health, or enhance the natural environment.
How will the traineeships benefit you?
Volunteers who have committed to a traineeship with the Green Team will also benefit from additional training opportunities, which will include:
- Carbon Literacy training
- Basic First Aid
- Basic Health & Safety
- Core Habitat Management
- Introduction to Nature-based solutions.
All of these are key when applying for jobs in the environemntal sector and crucial alongside the practical skills you will develop.