The Prince's Trust: 12 week personal development course
Team is a 12-week personal development course, offering work experience, qualifications, practical skills, community projects and a residential week.
How does it help?
More than 70% of unemployed participants go on to jobs, training or education within three months of completing.
Through building their confidence and motivation, Team members are encouraged to think about their futures; this includes preparing a post-programme development plan. During the 12 weeks they:
- Uncover hidden talents
- Assume some responsibility for tasks
- Develop team-working and communication skills
- Gain awareness of their local community and how they can contribute to it
- Gain nationally recognised qualifications
How does it work?
Young people join a team of up to 15 participants. A team typically comprises around 12 unemployed people and one or two employed people sponsored by their employers.
During the 12 week programme, Team members:
- Spend a week away at a residential activity centre
- Undertake a project based in their local community
- Complete a work placement
- Participate in a team challenge, involving caring for others
- Stage a team presentation, during which they recount their experiences
- The Fire Service also support the young person by purchasing their provisional license, give them access to the theory test and offer a number of driving lessons throughout the 12 weeks, all free of charge.
Who is eligible?
Young people aged 16 – 25: The Trust’s other target groups, which are: people leaving care, young offenders, educational underachievers and the long term unemployed.
What do employees gain?
A massive boost in skills and confidence. A recent survey showed:
- 90% felt they could work more effectively with others in a team
- 84% reported they would be more willing to take responsibility for projects in the future
- Over 115,000 people have taken part since the programme was launched in 1990
- The programme is available at over 300 locations in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland
For more information visit their website.
Stafford Fire Station