This training is funded by Staffordshire County Council. To access this session for FREE you must be a member of Support Staffordshire. Support Staffordshire reserves the right to charge you for your booking if you are not a member.
Who should attend:
This course is aimed at staff and volunteers who are providing a befriending service to anyone in the community and wish to gain further knowledge and skills. It is also suitable for managers and supporting staff.
Befriending requires specific skills in order to build professional relationships that are successful and don’t become dependent. This course aims to teach techniques that will enable befrienders to effectively carry out their roles.
At the end of this course participants will:
- Understand the befriending relationship
- Understand how to hold an effective first meeting
- Know how to manage expectations in the relationship
- Be aware of boundaries between the befriender and the person being supported
- Be able to use different listening and empathetic techniques
- Understand the techniques to end the befriending relationship satisfactorily
- Be able to identify needs and refer supported person to other services